Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First, a picture from last night. This is me dressed as Velma ready to go out for a Scooby snack. Maybe there will be a crime for me to solve on the way and some old local will say, "Those meddlesome kids!"

This morning we walked through pea-sized hail to get down town but at the end of our street was the IBM building! I was tempted to go in and answer a few emails but managed to hold myself back. Big Blue is everywhere.

I'm sure you can all guess my first stop...a book store!! Hodges & Figgis is the local independent (directly across the street from Waterstones) so of course I had to give them my business. So glad I did - they were awesome. First they noticed that one of my books might be marked down in the basement and sent someone to check, then they said that they had a signed copy of another book I chose so they sent someone off to get that. When I mentioned having to get my bounty home they offered to ship them for me. I took the chance hoping that they will be more successful than I was shipping from Edinburgh. Plus I bought enough to get a 10 Euro frequent shopper discount. AND we got a great lunch recommendation. Seriously, the man at H&F did us well.

Then it was off to lunch at a great spot with beautiful stained glass windows, full of Christmas decorations and carols. An Irish woman came over to ask if we needed a shot of the two of us together so we wound up having a whole modeling shoot from different angles. She was more patient then we deserved. As she was leaving with her parents (the cutest old couple in Dublin) they all wanted to know where we were from and what we had seen. When the mother asked if we went to St Patricks and we said no she shrieked "How could you miss it?!?" Then told us about the deal on tea for the restaurant's 83rd anniversary. I hope I'm that cute when I get old (which isn't too far off, is it?)

Bill bought himself some whiskey but there are no pictures of that. We just got back from our last pub meal. We watched most of a West Ham vs ManU game but West Ham was up 3-0 so it wasn't much of a match. Travel day tomorrow - where did the vacation go??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. Obviously my life is a little slow right now, but I love your posts! And I'm SO done with Facebook. It's sort of like Anthony Bourdain and Tina Fey right here in River City. (Def. not Samantha Brown, who is a piece of puffery cr**.) I loved your story of the bookseller and hope that your books come undamaged.
BTW, I had a chunk of my Dubliner cheese from Trader Joe's tonight ... and thought, quick girl that I am, hmmmmm, wonder if THEY'VE had good cheese in DUBLIN? This profound question can wait until your return. Have a good travel day. I'm almost at the end of A Gift of Rain.

Jennifer said...

Cindy, I'm sad to say that although there are some very interesting looking cheese mongers here I have not been able to sample any of the local cheese because Bill doesn't like cheese. It's just not as fun to cheese alone. Although now that we are here a few extra days who knows? I might resort to a cheese binge while Bill goes off to have a cigar.