Sunday, August 7, 2011

you can't choose your family


We were without internet access at Hotel Ratwistle, so no post last night.
But we had much to post about.
Danielle and A.J. were in Albany for the week. They live in Missouri where A.J. is stationed at Fort Leonard Wood. So Jennie and I made the trek south to see the family.
Heather now plans where we go for dinner. Mother Entwistle lost the privilege after too many Chinese buffets.
Heather had her new gentleman friend, Dave, choose a cool brew pub. Dave chose wisely and fit in well.

Mother has never touched beer but posed with me.

Danielle and I have never met. We both thought each other were a carefully calculated ruse. "Bill couldn't make it this trip..." Sure, there is no Bill, Danielle thought. Jen is alone and embarrassed. Wrong, Danielle. Jen is married and embarrassed!
When it comes to slack jaw photos, nobody bests Mother Entwistle. She's a master.

The evening winded down with Jennie and A.J. playing with rat puppets and speaking in cockney accents. The usual family get together fun. I think Norman Rockwell had several painting depicting this American tradition.
After rat play we played a game of Skittles (bowling using a wooden top). I dethroned Jennie as champ, but she cried foul because I had several misfires where I almost destroyed the board after my top didn't spin. Sour grapes, I say.
As in-laws go, this group of odd balls are pretty fun.
xxxooo

1 comment:

Mom said...

Overall, a very fair and balanced assessment of the weekend -- so glad you guys could make it out here.