Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cupcakes, art, drag queens and long ashes

I had a little irritable moment from being in Midtown too long (too many tourists...too many people in general). So Jen bought me a cupcake.
One of Jen's favorite painting at MoMA. She wouldn't pose for me by lying on the floor like the girl in Wyeth's "Christina's World", so I had to settle for a head shot.
We're colorless compared to the Picasso's at MoMA.
On our way to dinner in Little Italy we ran into a drag parade. Considering the big win today in NY for gay marriage, we didn't really like their chant "We don't want to marry, we just want to f***!" Some people are never happy.
Jennie is one with the gay drag kings and queens.

We separated for a couple of hours while we both got to do some of our favorite things. Jennie strolled though The Strand, a ginormous book store in Union Square. Meanwhile, I went to a little cigar bar in the village. It really isn't a cigar bar because you had to bring your own alcohol. I had a quandary of what to bring. A six pack was too much, one beer too little. Getting some scotch or bourbon seemed excessive. So I opted for a giant Duval, a Belgian ale. Pretty strong beer.
I put on a little show for the locals at the cigar bar apparently. While I drank my giant Duval out of the bottle I was nursing the longest cigar ash I've ever kept going. It was three inches long by the time it dropped. Several of them moaned when it finally fell. Before that I was quietly doing my thing watching t.v., but after my little show I mingled easily. I like the little unwritten, mostly unspoken, rituals we all have of qualifying people into groups. After my ash show I was allowed to converse with the locals.

No comments: